With wedding season quickly approaching and the threat of our schedules about to become very busy, I really wanted to write about some wedding related topics. This is where I thought FIRST LOOKS and NO LOOK FIRST LOOKS!!! It's a simple concept but so many of us don't completely understand what either of these are. Guys, it's totally fine, up until a few years ago I had no idea either. So some of us can kind of get the gist of what they are from their title but I want you guys to know the details so when you talk to your photographers you will understand what's happening and feel in the loop!
What is a First Look?
The first look is just what you think, you see each other before the wedding. The part people sometimes don't realize it's an intimate experience as much as the ceremony itself. You can decide if you want the first look to be just for you and your groom or if you'd like your wedding party or just your family. You make the rules! I loved having a fist look before the ceremony and honestly it didn't take away from me walking down the aisle in the least. Now just because I think it's a good idea doesn't by any means mean you have to have a first look. I just want you to understand what they both are so you know.
Why do you recommend a First Look?
I'm so glad you asked!!
From the photographer side of me I recommend a first look for some simple reasons:
- If you are having your wedding outside heat is an issue sometimes. This way your make-up and hair is perfect and you can do a quick touch up before you walk down the aisle.
- We as the photographers are able to capture reactions up close and it makes for some pretty darling photos. (we also get to be creative)
- You get to have your own personal, intimate, and romantic moment with your groom ALONE (or at least with the guests of your choosing).
- The bride and groom who see each other before they walk down the aisle are more relaxed. They focus on enjoying the ceremony instead of little details that could go wrong.
- Last but not least, because the bride and groom have seen each other the photographers can get all the formals done before the wedding! This is a huge time saver and your hungry guests will thank you.
From the being a bride side of me I recommend a first look...For all the exact same reasons!
- I did have my wedding outside and honestly I never wear make-up and I never do my hair so I was nervous about how it would look at the end of a ceremony. With the first look and my formals before the wedding my make-up and hair was great! No worries and a quick touch up before I walked down the aisle.
- For our first look Elle had the great idea to use a mirror and my mom had an old one we've had for years. My bridesmaids held it up with me behind it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE PHOTOS! I was hiding behind it and Daniel was lead down a hill. Both our reactions captured and adorable.
- We really did have a romantic moment. Daniel spinning me in a clearing. Ugh, I cannot stress this enough. I love our photos and I loved the experience. I was so giddy and nervous but it was so worth it.
- Once I got to the whole walking down the aisle, I was relaxed. It was easy as pie. (Daniel also had a reaction of me walking down the aisle as well)
- After the ceremony all we had to do were family formals. Took about 15-20 min. and we all got to eat!
Isn't it bad luck to see the each other before the ceremony?
This was more so back when marriages where arranged. Often the groom never saw the bride before the wedding because if they did they might decide they didn't want to go through with it. (that would stink!) But this is where the "bad luck" comes from. But lucky for you your fiancé saw you and asked you to marry you so you are good to go. Again a lot of what weddings are have to do with traditions so do what you think is best for you.
My best friend Alissa also had a first look and her photos are stunning as well!!! Alissa and Michael read each other vows so they wouldn't have to read them out loud during the ceremony. Making this another intimate moment they shared together. Make it your own and I will be perfect!
Brett Loves Elle Photography is Columbus Ohio's Best Wedding Photography team that offers Wedding Photography, Wedding Videography, and Open Air Photo Booth Services. Columbus Wedding Photographer, Columbus Wedding Photography, Destination Wedding Photographer