WHAT TO WEAR | ENGAGEMENT: COLUMBUS OHIO, COLUMBUS OHIO WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER
I've written a what to wear engagement blog before...but we have new clients, new pictures, and new styles to throw out there as options. I don't know if you guys are anything like me but I sometimes like to see ideas so I can visualize it in my head. I've also had a bunch of this years brides ask me what to wear OR what not to wear. I could finally have my own television show. WHAT THE WEAR | ENGAGEMENTS. HOW FUN WOULD THAT BE? Maybe I'll just have to have my own segment/videos interviewing our brides at their shoots!
ANYWAYS, I have been loving our couples outfits lately so I thought I would share them with you as well as some tips and tricks to make the most of your engagement sessions and LOOK FANTASTIC!
AMY + RYAN | FOX IN THE SNOW
While prepping for this blog I have created a Pinterest Board for those of you like me who love to see photos of clothes to better create my own outfit. But honestly who needs an excuse to go shopping!?! So, go ahead and click the link on Brett Loves Elle's board WHAT TO WEAR: Engagement Shoot. Don't forget to read the little notes I've made. I added a ton of tips and tricks to the descriptions!
TIFFANY + KEITH | HOOVER DAM
Tips For Engagement Shoots
- GO ALL OUT: This is a chance to seriously go all out. Dress up. Get your hair done and makeup done. Guys, why not wear that dapper suit! How many times do you and your love actually get formal photos together. Probably not that often and having classy photos is actually so fun!
- Dress for your surroundings: This can have a lot to do with the colors you choose to wear. If your session is at a park wearing green isn't always the best option (now that isn't alway true but you should definitely think about it) or wearing red with a green background (CHRISTMAS!!).
- Be practical: If you really aren't a dress person go ahead and rock some jeans with some killer shoes and a cute blouse. Dresses aren't your only options. I have seen tons of engagement shoots with jeans and the couple still look fantastic!
- Coordinate with your partner: this doesn't mean matchy-matchy but more color coordination.
- Get your makeup done: Taking time to get pampered really is amazing. Some of our bride to be's even plan their engagement shoot on the day of their makeup trial. This is a great way to see how it captures on camera and have your makeup done by someone else!
- How about a blow out: If you are anything like me you may hate doing your hair. I love how my hair looks curled but man does it take me FOREVER! Getting a blowout is a great option and such a fun experience!
- Manicure: Don't forget about your nails! You are wearing that ring and chances are we will take photos of it. Don't forget to have pretty nails! Small but important detail.
- SHOES MATTER: We will see your shoes so wearing sneakers or flip flops really don't look fantastic. Nice flats, ankle boots, wedges, heels, etc can be a better options and guys look so much better with some nice dress shoes, boots, or something of the sort.
- Fit counts: Wear cloths that make your body look great. Wearing overly baggy clothes isn't always flattering and same goes for clothes that are too tight or too short. You will 100% notice that and feel uncomfortable. But, don't feel awkward if it happens. We are professionals and will help you as best we can!
- A dress shirt can go a long way: The easiest option for guys can be a really nice button down shirt! Pastels for spring, brighter colors for summer, flannel patterns or darker colors for fall and winter look awesome. I even like when guys rock a sweater or a blazer to make it classier!
- Dress pants: It's amazing how different an outfit can be if guys wear dress pants instead of jeans (now there is nothing wrong with wearing jeans but wearing dress pants can really "dress" up an outfit. If dress pants aren't your thing how about khakis?
- If you want to dress up, DRESS UP: I think formal wear (suit for the guys and an awesome dress for the ladies) looks fantastic just like casual photos can look fantastic as well. It's about owning what you wear. So wear it with confidence.
- Bring a bag of 'Just in Case' Items: If you are rocking heels and plan on walking around, bring some sandals, lip gloss to do some touchups, tissues in case it's hot, water, and anything else you can think of that helps you continue to look great and feel great!
- Don't bring too many props: Too many props can really distract from your shoot. If you have a sign, a blanket, or your fur baby those are simple and to the point. Our focus is capturing your love!
- Accessories: There is absolutely nothing wrong with a necklace that pops or even earring for that matter. A fun accessory that I love are hats (for ladies mainly) they can be worn or even used as a cute prop.
ANGELA + ERIC | GERMAN VILLAGE - SCHILLER PARK
ERIN + MAC | ARCH PARK - ARENA DISTRICT
WHY AN ENGAGEMENT SESSION IS IMPORTANT?
An engagement session is a chance for your wedding photographer to capture your love before your wedding day. That's one of the biggest tips I can give you. Pick a wedding photographer that offers an engagement session with their wedding package. That way you are confident in them on your wedding day. If you trust your photographer you get great images.
That is a huge factor in our ability to capture beautiful images. If you trust us you will be so much more relaxed. Believe me when I say your emotions will show in your face. So, take a breather and know we got you!
LINDSEY + MIKE | HARGUS LAKE - CIRCLEVILLE, OHIO
WHO WILL BE AT OUR SESSION?
With Brett Loves Elle Photography chances are you will have all four of the team at your shoot. Why, because we actually love hanging out together and especially love shooting together. Your session will be a blast! It's impossible to not have at least a little fun. So show up ready to enjoy yourself. Don't dread your shoot! But if you do...give me a call. I will put you at ease.
LIZ + BRIAN | HIGH LINE - BROOKLYN BRIDGE
TARI + KEVIN | THE KELTON HOUSE - OLDE TOWN EAST
If you are in fact going to use your dog as a prop, I have some tips for you.
- Bring a friend/family member: This way you won't get distracted by caring for you pup while you are getting photos taken. They can make sure your fur baby is taken care.
- TREATS or a favorite TOY: bringing treats will help us to get your pups attention for the photos.
- Bring a doggy bag: This can include baggies for picking up things left behind by your wonderful pup, a leash, treats, water with a bowl, and anything you think your pup will need.
- Accessories: I don't know about you but I love pups that match their owners. Whether that be their collar, bandana, bowtie, sweater, or something of the sorts. Now don't get me wrong, a dog is cute no matter what. But, adding cute accessories that focus on your dog are always adorable!
LAUREN + TY | SHARON WOODS METRO PARK
I really hope this will help you feel more prepared for your own engagement session. I remember stressing about my clothes so much and there really was no reason to! Once I stopped over analyzing it I picked a dress and boom Daniel picked a shirt and it worked perfectly. This is such a magical time for you, the last thing we want you to do is stress about your clothes. So, because this seems to be one of the most asked questions I hope I answered all of your looming questions.
GOOD LUCK! Can't wait to see all your adorable outfits!!
Don't forget to check out our PINTEREST BOARD by clicking the button below!
Photo's By: Brett Loves Elle Photography, Columbus Ohio's Premier Wedding Photographers. Available for travel worldwide! Columbus Wedding Photography, Ohio Wedding Photography, Downtown Columbus Wedding.